Sierra Leone expects to be declared Ebola-free tomorrow

Sierra Leone expects to be declared free of the Ebola virus on Saturday after no new cases of the disease were detected since September, the National Ebola Response Centre Chief Executive Officer Paolo Conteh said.

The declaration is expected to be made at midnight, Conteh said in remarks broadcast on Radio Democracy in the capital, Freetown.

The World Health Organization said on Thursday that no new cases had been recorded for 41 days and if no new case is recorded by Nov. 7, the country will have met its criteria to declare an end to the current outbreak.

A least 3,955 people died in 14,089 cases of the disease, which devastated the economy. Gross domestic product will probably contract 22 percent this year because of the outbreak.

– Bloomberg [Silas Gbandia]